Chickpeas are a great store cupboard staple and this easy curry makes a filling meal when paired with rice or our flatbread recipe. It can also be used to top jacket potatoes.
Cooking Time: Approx 35 mins
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tin of 400g chickpeas
- 1 tin of spinach
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder or garam masala (you can add more chill if you like it hotter)
- 1 teaspoon of ginger or chopped fresh ginger
- 300mls of boiling water or stock
- Salt and pepper to season
- In a pan add some oil and gently cook the chopped onion and garlic until it is soft.
- Add the chickpeas, spinach, chopped tomatoes, spices and ginger to the pan with 300mls of water or stock.
- Bring everything to the boil and then turn the heat down. Simmer for 30 minutes until the tomatoes break down. Stir occasionally and add more water if it is getting too dry.
- For a creamier curry add coconut milk or yogurt
Top Tip – For a different take, add in some diced potato or spinach