Our bean chilli recipe is a quick recipes using lots of store cupboard items. It’s really versatile too. Here it is served with wedges but you could use rice or even use it as a topping for a baked potato. If you don’t have mixed beans you can substitute for a combination of canellinni, red kidney beans, haricot, black beans or whatever you have in stock.
Cooking Time: Approx 35 minutes. Makes 4 portions
- 4 medium baking potatoes, unpeeled, each cut into 8 wedges
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, 1 red pepper
- 1 tsp each of chilli powder, cinnamon, cumin and paprika or use 1 tbsp of a ready-made spice mix such as Cajun
- 2 x 410g cans mixed beans in water, rinsed and drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 150ml vegetable stock
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas mark 7. Toss the potato wedges in 2 tsp of olive oil and spread out in a single layer on a large baking tray. Cook for 30-35 mins, turning halfway, until tender and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, for the chili, put the remaining oil into a casserole dish and fry the onion and peppers on a medium heat for 5 mins. Add the spices, beans, tomatoes and stock. Simmer for 15-20 mins.
- Remove the chili from the heat and ladle into bowls. If you like, top each with 1 tbsp soured cream/ plain Greek yoghurt and serve with the potato wedges.
Tip- A squeeze of lime and chopped coriander also works well with this dish. Jazz it up with homemade tortilla chips tortilla chips (take 2 flour tortillas and cut each into 6 wedges. Grill until crispy- take care not to let them burn!)